This was too easy. There were no hidden screws, no hidden tabs snapping off, no tricky disassembly order, no blood and no cursing at all, so by definition its more like a take-apart than a teardown.
Please Help! If you can, help me figure out what other projects I could make out of these parts! I will be happy to take more pictures, like of the large caps. I would like to keep it all, but will eventually have to reduce the size :(
Preliminary Focal Point Information:
- Screen: 43" diagonal, about 34.5" x 26"
About 109cm diagnal, 87cm x 66cm
- Focal point 26" from the lens. (66cm)
Closer than I imagined, so smoke on the lens will be a bigger problem.
- Common vertical slit shaped point
About 4" high and 0.5" wide in the middle (about 10x1cm).
I was hoping for a small spot, even though it was a long shot, but this is much better than an unfocused blob some get.
Lets start with the back.
The front screen lens assembly is held on inside by four metal bars screwed into the front plastic frame.
Flash lens reflection.
Back cover mirror.
The mirror is nice and thick, but the backing is a thin coating. You can see a little flaking at the edge, but you cant see the hazy streaks from age in these pictures.
Someone spilled coffee in from the front (we are calling it coffee).
Most people would imagine a high tech inside, but most of the craftsmanship in this thing is in the woodworking!
100 years worth of dust. I'm sure glad I always remember to teardown outside. I only found one dead bug.
Make that 200 years worth.
Lots of shielded boxes all over.
Wires and plenty of connectors.
Many side boards and lots of caps and resistors
Original handmade wood strain relief.
Lots of these furry things.
Turns out they are heat sinks! 04686A?
Front speaker panel, With traces of "coffee".
Front panel velcro.
Engineer 1: "Just two pieces of velcro for the front, really?"
Engineer 2: "Don't worry. It will hold for 30 years."
Yep, it still held for 30 years. Unfortunately the velcro glue backing specs had to be lowered for cost...
Two full range speakers :|
The adjustable side of the three projector lenses.
Underneath are the three projector guns with circuit boards and large metal shields with holes.
Holly resistor Batman! Now they can put three million SMT resistors on one real smaller than that gold band! Some of the caps are big also.
I finally found the reset button! Its right below that 90,000V line in the foreground. How convenient.
The four metal bars holding the screen are off and two layers of the screen are both taped together and are also glued together, about 0.25" in from all the edges. A razor blade carefully slid around all sides between the layers separated the two pieces below.
The clear protector looking front plastic (UV?) was hard to photograph.
A closer inspection shows another layer glued to the lens I want. It looks like a diffuser. Once started with a razor, it pealed clean off the lens.
Diffusing layer separated.
With the other two layers gone, I mounted the single lens back into the frame. Fits tight :)
Above you can already see it magnifying the carpet and a kind of circular square section of sky in the reflection. I was hoping to use this frame, but it is much more flexible than I expected.
The focus test (26") was quickly disrupted by rain and a quick clean up before the wife comes home to a mess and kills me. It only focuses in direct light, so weather permitting, maybe I can get some pictures of the focused slit tomorrow.