I should start this update by apologizing to anyone following this. I have meant to do more updates, meant to be further along as well.
I have decided to use a module for the CPU. This will allow me to get working on the software and hopefully have a working prototype by the end of this competition.
The CPU module I decided upon is the solidrun imx6. The deciding factors where that it uses the (almost) right CPU and it fits in the case that I wanted to use. I wanted to use the I.mx6sl to help keep the cost down, but for proof of concept it will work well.
It took a while, but I received the board and here it is.
The lens samples have also been received. The next update will be about the lens holder that is being printed now.