I haven't had the time to do as much work on this project as I wanted due to a number of causes: end of the school year for my daughter, I've built a new workbench and my office is a mess while I move it in, and I got a new computer and it's taken some time to get all my software installed on it.
The other news though is that I got a new lightning sensor chip to play with! This one is from Embedded Adventures in the UK. It looks somewhat like the PlayingwithFusion one I'd been using, but this one supports I2C as default and has a newer design (a 6th revision updated as of April as opposed to the indeterminate version in the PWF device)
I'll need to update my schematics to reflect this new device now. Hope I'm still a candidate for Hackaday prizes though. :)