Another guitar-sized ukulele build
QCad .dxf of plans
AutoCAD DXF - 199.05 kB - 10/02/2018 at 21:21
I have been very bad at recording videos as I have been working on this instrument, but I do have some photos. Here they are, more or less in reverse chronological order. Enjoy:
Finishing (gloss finish, prior to using steel wool to make it an even satin)
Detail of the back joints + purfling miters
Cutting binding + purfling channels. I actually ended up doing things a bit differently than it shows here... I didn't end up using spool clamps to maintain height, instead I taped a shim to the router table right beside the bit and rested the body on that.
I used a 5 bar Torres bracing pattern:
Not glued (the back goes on last), but verifying the fit prior to gluing the top on:
The lumber I used for the back was 4.5" wide, so I didn't have enough for a 2 piece back. Instead, I did a double book match and did some stripes on the outside ones. I left the inner bookmatch alone to show off the white sapwood.
Here's a sample of D3 G2/G3 B3 E4/E4 tuning: