Close

Got last proto working

A project log for Teensy Super Audio Board

Professional quality, 24 bit, 192kHz audio breakout board for Teensy 3.x, Raspberry Pi, and more.

RF William HollenderRF William Hollender 09/02/2015 at 06:030 Comments

I've spent the last week or so taking a break since I found out that the project didn't make it past the first round of the Hackaday prize. It would have been fun to keep going, but it means a lot less stress :)

I finally got around to trying out the SMD removal kit that I got from Adafruit, and it worked awesome! It hardly took any time at all to get the CS4272 off the board and replace it with a new one:

The two ICs in the bottom of the picture are the two that I removed to try to fix the board after it didn't work. The smaller IC is the I2C isolator that I mangled with a diagonal cutters to separate the pins so that I could remove them one at a time. The other is the codec that I removed using the chipquik kit and it was way easier (and I didn't almost destroy one of the pads).

It's a little annoying to replace $12 worth of components because I forgot to load 4 pull up resistors worth a total of around 0.03, but that's what happens when you rush, I guess.

On another note, now that the Hackaday contest is over, I can focus on getting the board production ready, and getting a kickstarter going. Here are a couple of goals for the next month or so:

  1. Finish integration into the Teensy Audio Library
    1. Should go a lot faster now that I have a working prototype
  2. Test out the Raspberry Pi adapter boards that I sent out to OSHPark a few weeks back
    1. They should be arriving soon
  3. Find a more user friendly software setup for the Raspberry Pi
    1. Instructions for auto-resampling, resampling quality settings, etc
  4. Make some changes to the board for better usability
    1. Use solderable jumper pads for configuration instead of 0-ohm jumpers
    2. Lengthen pads for power supply ICs
    3. Change hole sizes for header pins and make sure that the pins are all on a 0.1" grid

Hopefully I should be able to get everything done soon and should have a kickstarter going in a month or two!

Discussions