After over a year and a half of silence from this project, I am finally going to complete it. While moving interstate I found all the components for this project in storage - surprisingly the LCD display and driver board still functions, I found it and all its delicate cables and screen tangled up in a huge box of junk tech - along with the goggles.
So to begin with I mocked the rough positioning of the boards on the goggles with blue tack. Given the positioning of the various ports on the panel driver board, I decided on placing the switch board underneath (image below). This is to ensure that there is no obstruction for cables that need to be plugged into the board (power and HDMI), as well as providing space for both the head tracking chip and it's connected USB cable.