I've always seen word clocks and wished I had my own. It's about time I made my own. To add to the challenge, I'll be using an ATTINY85 with a total of 5 I/O ports and printing my own circuit boards (a first for me).
So it's pretty much done at this point! Sorry, school has picked back up; so while I have still been working on it, the documentation has fallen behind. The code repo is up to date with all the code and hopefully once I find some time I can write a how-to and explain some of the tricks I developed along the way. Right now I just need to invert the contrast signal (PWM) driven for one set of LED's that isn't driven by a shift register (the one that is always on). The shift register's output enable is low asserted so its funny looking when the brightness is very high or low.
it's functionally complete! It's been some really late nights but it's ready. I need to play around with the dimming at night and seal up th case better. I have some gaps in my not quite 45 degree cuts so I'll be using some wood filler to patch that up.
Sorry for not posting any updates. Things are going extremely well! I'll be posting some pictures today of my progress. I have the diffusors and face plate cut with the laser and the circuit board all ready to solder. Really struggling to get the I2C communication protocol to work on the ATTINY85