The most requested features from customers has been a way to use the timer with a smart phone and PC.
After considering development times for iPhone/Android/Windows apps I decided a small light weight responsive webgui would be the best cross platform solution.
In developing the WebGui I came accross the following challenges
- Running out of RAM on the ESP8266
- Bugs in the Web Server Library
I ended up having to modify the WebServer library to get Chunked Encoding to work properly as serving up the webgui using a traditional HTML transfer with a Content-length entry in the header was not possible, causing End Of Heap RAM reboots not matter what I did.
I really felt I was running the little ESP past its limits however after many many hours of work I have a stable responsive webGui being served up from the Tick Tock Timer.
--This functionality is now available though OTA firmware update--
The WebGUI supports the following
- Trigger the Bell (Relay)
- Trigger a Disaster mode (Pre defined relay pule patterns)
- Add / Remove / Edit events
- Add / Remove / Edit holidays
- Deployed Icon when saving WebGUI link to Home Screens
Interface designed using Boot Strap and Pingendo.