Close

Case

A project log for Alpen Clack

A keyboard mod.

deʃhipudeʃhipu 11/02/2015 at 21:140 Comments

While naked keyboard does have its appeal, it's time to build a case for this baby. I started by cutting out the holes for the keys in the face plate of depron:

They are not perfect -- laser cutter would do them better -- but beggars can't be choosers. Next, I glued strips of depron around the edges, placed my keyboard on them, and glued some more layers of strips of depron. Finally, a large white sheet glued lightly at the bottom:

(The keyboard is pink because of the protective foil on it.) Some screws help to keep it all together. Next, I cut around the edges with scroll saw, to get all those layers to exactly same shape. Then I replaced the screws, cut their ends, added rubber feet and voila:

After some testing, I decided that I will have to lower the front edge a little -- by cutting the whole keyboard into a wedge shape. But that's for tomorrow, as I won't be using power tools at night, waking up the neighbours.

Discussions