Working together, using tech to improve social situations. Recycle for the #WIN!
This project connects people through the importance of recycling with social responsibility.
Driving to the Adelaide IoT hackathon I saw a woman going though the bin looking for bottles to recycle for cash. In Adelaide there is a 10 cent bounty on bottles. Our thoughts are to use technology to alleviate some of the issues surrounding this, namely:
- Recycling Entrepreneurs - Tell them where the bottles are at making their business more profitable
- General Public - Increased motivation to recycle understanding that their efforts help the Recycling Entrepreneurs
- Government - Improved recycling efforts through simple installation of a sensor pack and help urban planning
In more detail:
- Recyclers not finding bottles to recycle, lets improve their find rate!
- The importance of recycling, how can we improve the amount recycled?
- Improve the efficiency of rubbish collection.
- Improve the connection to other people, understand that you help people by placing the bottles in the correct location for collection.
- Potentially help recycle industry identify new opportunities in residential areas.
An easy to attach sensor pack connected to a bin to detect the valuable bottle commodity. Once enough bottles are detected a simple light to indicate that the bin is ripe for harvesting allows people to know there is enough bounty available.
An internet connection will allow trends to be identified, answering the important questions of:
- Which bins return the most cans?
- What time of day are entrepreneurs most active?
- When is the optimal time to empty the trash (traveling salesman model)?
- Is there need for more bins and where?