Purchase, Print and Prepare the Parts.
I purchased the following parts:
• 500rpm 6VDC Gear Motor (search for "DC 6V 500RPM Micro Speed Reduction Motor Electric Geared Motor").
• One 6VDC AAA battery pack with switch (available on line).
• Eight R-24 (31mm ID, 3.5mm section, local hardware store) O-Rings.
• Four AAA batteries (local hardware store).
The included file "Parts.pdf" contains the part names, quantities, layer heights, infill and support settings of the parts I 3D printed for this model.
This is a high precision print and assembly model. Prior to assembly, test fit and trim, file, sand, etc. all parts as necessary for smooth movement of moving surfaces, and tight fit for non moving surfaces. Depending on you printer, your printer settings and the colors you chose, more or less trimming, filing and/or sanding may be required. Carefully file all edges that contacted the build plate to make absolutely sure that all build plate "ooze" is removed and that all edges are smooth. I used small jewelers files and plenty of patience to perform this step.
The model also uses threaded assembly, so I used a tap and die set (6mm by 1, 10mm by 1.5) for thread cleaning.
Assemble the Chassis Left Side.
To assemble the chassis left side, I performed the following steps:
• Threaded "Hub.stl" into the front axle hole in "Chassis, Left.stl".
• Positioned the gear motor between the motor mount and worm gear axle mount on the chassis left assembly then slid the motor up and into the motor mount until the motor shaft end was even with the motor mount.
• Positioned "Gear, Worm.stl" between the motor shaft and worm gear axle mount such that the motor shaft hole in the worm gear is nearest the motor shaft and with the motor shaft hole flat aligned with the motor shaft flat, then pressed the motor down into the worm gear.
• Slid "Axle, Gear, Worm.stl" through the worm gear axle mount hole then threaded it into the worm gear.
• Positioned "Gear, Arms.stl" onto the assembly then secured in place with "Axle, Gear, Arms.stl".
• Positioned "Gear, Drive.stl" onto the assembly then secured in place with "Axle, Gear, Drive.stl".
• Threaded two "Pin.stl" into "Piston.stl".
• Positioned "Arm, Piston.stl" in the piston assembly then secured in place with "Axle, Arm, Piston.stl" using a 7/64" hex wrench.
• Positioned "Guide, Left.stl" into "Mount, Left.stl" then secured in place using one "Axle, Guide.stl".
• Positioned the left piston pin into the left guide guide slot, slid the assembly onto the chassis left assembly piston guide, then secured the assembly in place with one "Bolt, Mount.stl" (a second bolt is added later).
• Positioned "Arm, Domino.stl" onto the chassis assembly then secured in place with "Axle, Arm, Domino.stl".
• Secured the free ends of the piston and domino arms to the arms gear using one "Axle, Gear, Arms, Arms.stl".
Assemble the Chassis Right Side.
To assemble the chassis right side, I performed the following steps:
• Positioned "Guide, Right.stl" into "Mount,Right.stl" then secured in place using the remaining "Axle, Guide.stl".
• Positioned the right guide assembly onto "Chassis, Right.stl" and secured in place with two "Bolt, Mount.stl".
• Threaded the remaining "Hub.stl" into the front axle hole of the right chassis assembly.
For final assembly, I performed the following steps:
• Pressed "Gear, Front.stl" onto "Axle, Wheel, Front.stl" centering the gear on the axle spline.
• Positioned the front axle assembly into the chassis left assembly, long end first.
• Positioned the pin slot on the right guide over the right pin on the piston, positioned the front axle into the axle hole of the chassis right assembly, carefully positioned the left and right chassis assemblies together, then secured together using three "Bolt, Chassis.stl".
• Installed "Bolt, Mount, Chassis.stl" in the left chassis mount assembly.
• Placed four O-Rings onto the two "Wheel, Rear.stl" then secured the wheels...Read more »