01/05/2020 at 21:54 •
I have uploaded an archive of the KiCad Design files and .GBRs for this project. Please note that at the current state, the hardware has only been designed, but not built or tested. Because of this, I can not guarantee that hardware will work 100% as intended. But feel free to use these files to make your own boards/build upon them!
Because I have not built or tested this project yet, project specific software does not yet exist. Feel free to make your own though!
If anyone ends up building this, feel free to let me know, as I am interested to see how many errors/improvements can be made.
12/20/2019 at 17:18 •
After some feedback and further research into BME680 vs CCS811, I have finally gotten around to designing Rev2!
- Removing CCS811 sensor and associated components
- Rounding slots and making sure spacing is possible
- Fixed microSD card not having CS connected
- Fixed keepout areas for microSD
- Updated BOM
With Rev2, the overall price for materials has gone down significantly, since I have removed the CCS811 sensor. Using a combination of Mouser and Digikey, the price for components is $26.20, but with the shipping cost of two different orders. There will have to be two shipping costs, as the lightning detector antenna is only available from Mouser or the manufacturer.
My next step is to do some research into board and assembly houses, as I am not confident enough in my ability so solder the lightning and BME680 sensor by hand. If anyone has suggestions, please feel free to let me know! Being a college student, I have limited disposable income to spend on this project, so cheaper options are better.
Below are some photos of the board layout for Rev 2.
12/03/2019 at 01:46 •
The BOM for Rev1 of the Weatherstation is available here from Octopart. As some comments on this project have noted, the CCS811 sensor may be redundant, since there is the BME680 sensor. Any input from others is greatly appreciated.
I should probably also mention that this board is currently just in the design phase. No boards have been actually ordered/built nor have any of the components been tested together. All of the sensors have been used in the past on their own breakout/dev boards and have prebuilt libraries for Arduino, so I have fewer concerns about it functioning if designed properly. Unfortunately I do not own any of the components needed to test this. I am currently in school and crunching for the last two weeks, so there will be limited work done on this. Hopefully I have the time/energy/money to either assemble the appropriate breakout boards to test this assembly or order and built this board.
12/02/2019 at 03:30 •
Rev1 is complete! This includes component selection, schematic design, and board layout. All of this is currently in the design phase. I have not tested any of these components together in the manner I want them to function.