All details are explained on the website, circusscientist.com, I have set it out as a tutorial, mainly for my own benefit in case I need to do something similar again in the future. Machine Learning is actually really easy if you use pre-trained models, which in my case proved entirely sufficient for the job.
I will outline the details here.
- just the outline with a list of parts
- I test out the circuit on a breadboard, using some LED's and try out the Android app on a stuffed toy monkey
- I try out pytorch and python version of the monkey detector. This would work great on a Raspberry Pi
- the full circuit I am using for the sprinkler, with parts and a bit about how it works with the Android app.
Standalone Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.circusscientist.monkeydetector
- doesn't control the sprinkler, just plays a siren sound, works for monkeys and baboons.
Still to do: A nice video of some Monkeys getting squirted by my sprinkler (triggered by the app of course!)