Okay, so the prints are printed and the switches are lubed and re-sprung. Time to do the real work of turning it into a keyboard. But I'm not ready! So what needs to happen now?
- To glue or not to glue? Most of the switches snap in and stay put. A few of them come out way too easily when the keycap is removed. I'm tempted to glue them all in place, maybe a lil dot in all four corners under the top housing.
- But I should really test all the switches first. I haven't done that because I wanted to make a little testing rig so I can just plug in a switch and make sure it lights an LED or something. But man, those switch pins are weird. They only fit in female header at an angle, but you can't angle header into a protoboard. Last night I tried to make a tester with copper tape and a cardboard box.
- And really, I should probably wire a small practice matrix first. At least 3x3, but the bigger, the better.
I will tell you this: I have wanted automatic wire strippers for a long time, and I finally got some. They excel at stripping wire in the middle so you can wire up your switches like this instead of cutting a bunch of short wires. NOTE: the picture below is someone else's build.