What else has happened since project completion 4 months ago:
- Promoted to Primary: Four months ago I completed this project, filling the chassis with retired PC components I had sitting in the closet. After using it for about a month, I decided I really liked it. The components were re-retired into the closet, and the heart of my primary desktop PC tower were installed. My primary computer has been living in the Luggable PC chassis ever since.
- Network Storage: In my desktop tower PC I had 3.5" spinning platter hard drives for bulk storage. The move to the luggable chassis meant I had to give them up. For alternative bulk storage, I set up a network attached storage (NAS) server on my home network. The FreeNAS Box project is shared to everyone on Hackaday.io on this page, with the overly verbose full build log here.
- Portable Second Monitor: At home I could attach a large 28" monitor, but when on the go I only had the 17" screen built into the luggable chassis and sometimes that feels cramped. In order to expand screen real estate while on the go, a second salvaged laptop LCD was turned into a portable external monitor. Hackaday.io project page here, verbose full build log here.
- Luggable PC Mark II: The earlier "Luggable Frame" project built around the 28" QHD Yamakasi Catleap monitor was halted, but the idea of building PC chassis around a retail monitor lives on. When Best Buy put a promising lightweight Lenovo 24" QHD monitor on sale, it marked the official start of the Luggable PC Mark II project. Hackaday.io project page here, verbose full build log here.
- SGVLUG talk: After seeing Luggable PC show up at local tech meets, I was invited to present at a monthly meet of the San Gabriel Valley Linux User's Group. The presentation covered all of the above projects and I also brought all the iterations (not just the final product) so the audience can get up close and personal looks at the evolution of each design. The presentation slide deck is available here.