08/24/2014 at 07:44 •
k.. Let's say my planning stages are complete. Not really.. but it's time to start building. My project involves wireles slave modules.. that talk to a master... that displays data on a webpage. So what am I going to start building first? The webpage!
Apparently if I want to use python to develop my interface the best option is to use Django
No... not that Django... This Django: https://www.djangoproject.com/
I've been reading about it and.. well... me like it.
I'll try to build an interface with randomly generated data in the next days.
Wish me luck!
08/21/2014 at 06:32 •
I just posted the video description for this prize entry. Here's the link!
08/21/2014 at 05:32 •
The website will be programmed in python... why? Cause i've never used it before. I want to use this project to learn.
Anyways... thought I might write the web interface in python and save the data in a mysql database. There are probably better options... but I don't know them. I can always port to a better code if required. Let me know if you think tI should use something else...
HTML5? I've no idea...
08/20/2014 at 08:31 •
Haven't thought about power... I don't really want to use batteries because.. well.. 2or3 AA batts per module x 60 modules starts to get expensive/annoying battery-wise.
If the modules are going to be contained inside datacenter racks... then why no use USB power? They will only use a small amount of current (much less than the 500mA limit for USB) and USB ports will be wide available. External PSU jack can also be added.
- "Security" might be a concern with USB-attached devices so the modules will only use the USB power lines. D+ D- won't be wired at all. This will isolate any "interference" between the arduino and the server/computer.
08/20/2014 at 05:33 •
- Humidity: HIH-4030
- Temperature: Thermistor inside a metal case?
- Open/close doors: Reed switch + magnet?, Microswitch?,
**NOTE: Could it be possible to add a gas detector to detect fire? Trigger an alarm maybe?
08/20/2014 at 05:28 •
- Will be a raspberry pi. That's decided. No tech considerations given. I want to use a raspi. Period.
- Arduino of some sort. Needs to be small. Digispark maybe? Microudino? Any other options?
- In later stages of development may be changed to a custom board.
08/20/2014 at 05:26 •
Options to transmitt data?
- IR? Requires line of sight (kindoff..). One way only...
- 433MHz modules? Need two per modules... RX and TX. Bulky.
- NRF type transceivers? Two way communication. Small.
- Bluetooth? Never used it. Seems ... complicated.
- Zigbee. Never used it. Don't like it's name.
08/20/2014 at 05:13 •
Ok... I had the idea of what I wanted... I just couldn't visualize it. A few minutes googling images, some MSPaint (anyone know a nice simple linux alternative?) and now I can see it:
- Each rack has a small arduino conencted to sensors and an RF link (NRF24L01?)
- Central unit will be a raspberry pi. Why? Because I have never used one and this gives me a nice excuse.
- RasPi will gather data via another rf link and present it on a custom website. A "heatmap" would be a nice addition. Not just plain sensor data numbers...