Features of basic design:
- IR communication and remote control (probably will have a TV-B-Gone mode :) )
- Generate the "Sonic Screwdriver" sound, and maybe be able to make others as well.
- BLINKY LEDs! (duh.)
- Potentiometer or rotary encoder for "setting" selection.
- Buttons for things.
- Some kind of readout (binary, 7-segment, bar meter, LCD).
- 8/16-bit MCU (probably AVR, maybe MSP430).
- maybe Serial communication for settings or to use a bootloader.
More Abitious features that will hopefully be implemented in "final" design:
- Radio communication over 2.4GHz via nRF24L01+ modules
- Accelerometer for gesture control and other uses.
- ARM Cortex-M0/0+/3 MCU (probably STM32 because I've used that before)
- probably using an RTOS ( most likely ChibiOS/RT )
- (optional) a more advanced readout (OLED, LCD, projection! (jk) )
- USB communication for cool things ( maybe uploading new sounds, setting changes, USB CDC serial, etc.)
- rechargeable battery system (maybe charge over the USB port, or a DC jack)