Project focusing on the production of an open source sex toy / vibrator using the Trinket Pro and Digispark.
The project will act as a controller for 1 or more vibrators connected via a (mostly) industry standard 2.5mm mono audio jack.
Initial features will be simple, however, planned features include vibration to music, remote / bluetooth control, and internet control.
Features will be developed on the Trinket Pro, and individual features ported to the Digispark. Feedback and feature requests are welcomed.
An old project that creates a homebrew version of the Rez Trance Vibe. Since this is an existing API, and is fairly simple, replicating might be a good start with the Digispark vibrator.. Now I just have to work out how to set the USB stuff up correctly, and read incoming messages. Should be fun!
Work has continued! Current development is being done on a digispark, and I'm testing out the use of a BD679AG Darlington TO-126 instead of a mosfet, as it's much smaller and fits on the ideal size digispark add-on. Female 2.5mm sockets are on order from china, so I should be doing some initial board design on the hardware side, to get produced via dirty boards. If anyone could point me to software for making a circuit diagram, I would be grateful, as one has been requested in the comments.
Not much progress on the software side, as I'm a bit more interested in learning about board production right now, but I'll try to get on it soon!
So, a t-shirt turned up while I was away this week, and a bunch of stickers! Hopefully this will inspire me to find some time when I am not already working to do some coding on this project! Sorry that I have made so little progress :(
Work on the project has not progressed much over the past week and a bit, due to work, social things and Christmas. However, a usb rechargeable battery has been purchased (and has arrived) that means the project will finally be battery powered. Hopefully this 2600mah battery should power the vibrator for a couple of hours of constant use before needing a recharge. Also, some buttons have turned up so I can finally start on software goal number one: Replicate the functionality of the existing low end device that came with the test vibrators. This has two buttons, and ten "patterns", so reproducing it should allow me to learn about interrupts and a few other things before diving into a more complex control system.
After the basics, and with the contest end coming up fast, I will probably try and work on some audio to vibration functionality. However, this project will continue after the contest ends, but will not likely have a case any time soon. No access to a 3d printer, unless I can find a reasonably sized container suitable for pulling out in the bedroom.
The 3.5mm jack breakouts have arrived, and been promptly soldered up.
Doing some extremely simple testing, I can already pulse, fade, and random the attached device. So from this point, some serious software design needs to be done, and some reading up on actual arduino coding styles. I'm new to this, so I'm expecting the first iteration of the software to be pretty terrible. After all, "plan to throw one away".
I've just ordered a couple more vibrators with 2.5mm plugs to use for testing. I'd like to try and work out the average minimum voltage required by something attached to the device, and maybe include a way in code of setting this minimum through the buttons.
On to ideas about batteries. This project is required to be battery powered (according to DA RULEZ) and it will be, just as soon as I figure that part out and order the parts. I'm leaning towards cheap usb emergency phone chargers at the moment, as they output 5v and are cheap, with all charging circuits built in.
EDIT: Look a video! It's not very good but it shows this is an actual project!
Not much done on the project today, beside the ordering of two sparkfun 3.5mm audio jack breakout boards. These things prove to be expensive for what they actually are, I'll have to design some cheaper ones to get from http://dirtypcbs.com/ eventually, along with any other final pcbs.
The initial plan was to getto a connector out of a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor. However, I've decided buying actual breakouts will help the project move along faster, especially as I'll need one anyway to take audio in for one of the planned features.
Hello everyone (although that's probably no one at the moment)
This is a project I've had brewing for a while, aimed at creating a usb teledildonics device using the ATTiny 85. However, with the Trinket contest, I've decided to try developing on the more powerful microcontroller to create a "Pro" version of the device, and using the ATTiny to create a "Mini" version, with limited functionality.
As per the contest rule, the plan is for the trinket based version to be battery operated and fit into a person's back pocket, as well as hopefully looking more like an inconspicuous MP3 player, rather than a sex toy controller.
So, the Trinket Pro arrived on friday, after I ordered it off a nice UK company on Ebay for a total of £11. This was with fast and free delivery, so I cannot really complain that it comes in at a little more expensive than the US prices. As can be seen from the project photo, it is the Adafruit version of the board, running at 5v 16mhz.
Having got round to soldering the components tonight, the next step is to get my make shift 2.5mm jack working, and to write some software to test whether the Mosfet module or H-bridge module will be more useful in this first instance. With the attiny, I was leaning more towards the mosfet, due to using less pins and being able to handle a higher amount of amps. However, with more pins to play with, the H-bridge module would offer me 2 connectors for toys, and control over direction, which while not something found in standard toy controllers, might be interesting to play around with.