Using Wine emulator to run a instance of VMware vSphere Client on Mac (or Linux)
To install wine on Linux:
• Follow the instructions found here
To Install wine on Mac:
• First install Homebrew (run this in Terminal):
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"• Then run this command to finish the setup:
• Once Homebrew is installed now wine can be installed:
brew install wine**Note: If any errors occur, feel free to post comments and also look at this webpage for more help.
• Go to the ip address of the ESXi host. (EX: http://192.168.1.202/)
**Note: Ignore any security warnings that your browser might bring up.
• Download the vSphere client by clicking on the link. A .EXE file should start downloading.
• Run the installer (replace the directory path with the path to your .exe file):
wine ~/Downloads/VMware-client-all-*.exe• Follow all the instructions in the installer.
• If you get a error because the .NET framework needs to be installed I will post about how to fix that later.
• MOST of the time, a error will appear saying the the hcmon driver failed to install. DO NOT CLICK CANCEL.
• Navigate to the /.wine directory, and temporarily move it to your desktop. (Finder - Go - Go to folder - ~/.wine)
• Now you can click cancel, the installer will say it failed to install, this is fine, close the installer.
• Now you can move your .wine folder back to its original place (/Users/[name]/.wine)
• The vSphere client should now be installed.
• In Terminal navigate to the folder where the client exe is located (not the installer):
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/VMware/Infrastructure/"Virtual Infrastructure Client"/Launcher/• Then run the Client with this command:
wine VpxClient.exe• If a screen opens up asking for a username and password then everything is working.
• In the Host Box, type the Host's IP address (the one that we used to download the installer).
• Then put in your username and password (default username is "root").
• If you are brought to a screen that asks about credentials and certificates, click Ignore.
• If all works, then the client should connect!