PlatformIO can run on different operating systems. But more importantly, from development perspective at least, is a list of supported boards and MCUs. To keep things short: PlatformIO supports over 150+ Embedded Boards and all major Development Platforms.
PlatformIO allows users to:
- Decide which operation system they want to run development process on. You can even use one OS at home and another at work.
- Choose which editor to use for writing the code. It can be pretty simple editor or powerful favorite IDE Integration.
- Focus on the code development, significantly simplifying support for the Platforms & Embedded Boards and MCUs.
How does it work?
Without going too deep into PlatformIO implementation details, work cycle of the project developed using PlatformIO is as follows:
- Users choose board(s) interested in Project Configuration File platformio.ini
- Based on this list of boards, PlatformIO downloads required toolchains and installs them automatically.
- Users develop code and PlatformIO makes sure that it is compiled, prepared and uploaded to all the boards of interest.