This contest has ended and the winners have been announced! Thank you all for participating!Be sure to check out all the other amazing projects that were submitted!
|EBTKS - HP85A/B Tape Drive Replacement||Philip|
|Microtronic - The Next Generation||Michael Wessel|
|Honorable Mention: WDC-1 a "Working Digital Computer"||Michael Gardi|
Presenting Hackaday’s Reinvented Retro Contest!
Are you a modern-day tech enthusiast who also loves all things retro? Well, have we got the perfect contest for you!
For this contest, we're looking for projects that are all things retro mixed with modern-day tech. Create a project that bridges the gap between old hardware and new with adapters, connectors, microcontrollers, or anything else you can think of!
Preserve your favorite classic games by making them playable in a whole new way. Love the vintage style? Why not keep the look and ditch the old outdated technology for new innovations. Reinvent classic hardware that’s been discontinued using up-to-date components.
Hackaday and Digi-Key have partnered on this retro-themed prompt to offer three winners a shopping spree to the Digi-Key warehouse!
Don't forget to share your awesome projects on social with #ReinventedRetro
Thanks to our favorite partner Digi-Key, the top three projects will be awarded a $200 shopping spree to the Digi-Key warehouse.
We're on the lookout for the most artistic projects to be featured in the 2022 Digi-Key Calendar. Towards the end of the year, 12 visually stunning projects from our Digi-Key contests will be chosen to be featured in next year's calendar.
Artistic projects from the Earth Day Challenge, the Reinvented Retro Contest, and future 2021 contests will be chosen to select from. These projects will score a $50 gift certificate to Tindie and have a chance to be selected as one of the 12 featured projects in the calendar.
Need some inspiration? Here are some projects to check out that should get your ideas flowing:
- Check out some of these Retrotechtacular articles by Kristina Panos on the Hackaday Blog
- TeleBall - Retro Handheld Game Console by sy2002
- DIY Arduino Retro look FM Radio with linear scale by mircemk
- Bluetooth Retro(fitted) Radio by Jose Ignacio Romero
- Propeller P2 Retro Games Project by Graham Cole
How to Enter
Start a new project on Hackaday.io. Share images of your project and tell the story of how you designed and built it in the description of your project.
Once you have published your project, look in the right sidebar for the "Submit project to..." menu in order to enter it in Reinvented Retro Contest:
Here are some criteria judges will have in mind while reviewing entries:
- Is your project relevant as a Reinvented Retro project? (example: The Bluetooth Retro(fitted) Radio project is a beautiful 70's radio retrofitted with Bluetooth technology.)
- How original is the project itself?
- Does the project page include good photos and/or a video of the project?
- Does the project have a bill of materials listed in the components section of the project?
- How detailed is the documentation?
Reinvented Retro Contest Rules
- This contest runs 9AM PDT Tuesday, May 4th, 2021 through 11:59PM PST Monday, June 28th, 2021 (here is a handy countdown timer), and projects must be submitted during this timeframe.
- Sharing schematics, source code, and/or design files are not required, but a huge plus. These will be considered during judging and are a big part of "backstory" and helping us understand your project.
- Existing projects or projects that were entered in previous Hackaday contests and did not win a prize are eligible for submission as entries in this challenge with the following restrictions:
- You must update your project page - judges will look at the date the project was updated.
- The project must have significant additions from when previously entered. Show what makes it unique for this contest.
- Winners can win...