There are multiple ways to use the available generators:
- Use them online
- Use them as Inkscape plugins
- Run scripts/boxesserver which provides an web interface on port 8000
- Execute the scripts/boxes tool and pass the name of the generator together with the measurements on the command line
- scripts/boxes --list gives you the list of available generators
- Run scripts/boxesserver as an WSGI script in your web server.
You can also create your own generators using boxes/generators/_template.py or any of the generators in boxes/generators as a starting point.
Of course the library and the generators allow selecting the "thickness"
of the material used and automatically adjusts lengths and width of
joining fingers and other elements.
The "burn" parameter compensates for the material removed by the laser. This
allows fine tuning the gaps between joins up to the point where plywood
can be press fitted even without any glue.
Finger Joints are the work horse of the library. They allow edges
and T connections. Their size is scaled up with the material
"thickness" to maintain the same appearance. The library also allows
putting holes and slots for screws (bed bolts) into finger joints,
although this is currently not supported for the available generators.
Dovetail joints can be used to join pieces in the same plane.
Flex allows bending and stretching the material in one direction. This
is used for rounded edges and living hinges.