First and foremost, this is a challenge build. There are much better ways to go about building a DIY CNC router. I contemplated buying a Shapeoko 3, but decided that building my own could prove an interesting opportunity to grow my knowledge and skills.
- Meet, or exceed the performance of a stock Shapeoko 3.
- Can’t exceed the price of the Shapeoko 3.
- Old benchtop mill (I think it’s called a Bench Master)
- X-carve CNC router
To do list:
- Make a to do list (Nailed it!)
- Make a BOM
- Build three linear motion rails similar to the SO3 specs. (Done)
- Design and mill motor mount and end plates. (Done)
- Design and build a z-axis. (Done)
- Build a flat and level table for the machine to mount to. (Done)
- Assemble the mechanical components. (Done)
- Wiring (what a nebulous term, but done!)
- Calibrate and test performance.
- Create a fusion 360 file for the entire build.
- Add to the to do list.