All the different animations:
Chalieplexed led eyelashes. Used during bodypaint competitions.
To make the experience fit your profile, pick a username and tell us what interests you.
All the different animations:
Schematic in PDF
Adobe Portable Document Format - 120.19 kB - 09/04/2018 at 16:16
Arduino source code
ino - 34.08 kB - 09/04/2018 at 17:38
sch - 18.81 kB - 09/04/2018 at 16:16
kicad pcb. Beware! I etched my own boards and milled the outline using a dremel. There is a 0ohm jumper that can easily be removed by adding some vias. But vias are a pain when building your boards at home. So double check before sending it to a Fab for manufacturing.
kicad_pcb - 114.64 kB - 09/04/2018 at 17:44
net - 18.50 kB - 09/04/2018 at 16:16
Thanks to Macrofab for pushing me to start documenting my project on hackaday.io.
I created my account here over a year ago, with the intent to show my projects, but never got to it. And now, here's my first project-log.
Hopefully, handsoldering 0.1mm wire to 0805 leds is the kind of weird stuff, MEP hosts Stephen and Parker we expecting.
A friend of mine competes in bodypaint competitions. I had already helped her adding some led bling to her headpieces. Remembering Soomi Parks project (http://soomipark.com/main/?portfolio=led-eyelash), mid 2016 I decided to make my own version of her led eyelashes.
Instead of attaching underneath the eyes, I wanted mine to be on the actual eyelids. The easiest way we found out was to attach them to some fake eyelashes.
The first generation was single color.
The second generation was bi-color, and had a microcontroller, running different animations.
Both versions ran on CR2032 coin cell batteries.
Here they are in action:
Soldering all components, except for the ATMega328P
For soldering the led, I first printed an arc of led footprints (see files) on a transparency sheet. I then flipped the sheet. Using superglue, I (temporarily) glued the leds, upside down, on top of the footprints. This made it that the leds were evenly spaced and in a gentle arc.
Next I took 5 strands of 0.1mm magnet wire, and twisted them together using a drill.
I untwisted the last few centimeters, that were going to be soldered to the leds. I pre-tinned the pads on the underside of the leds. I then going left to right started attaching the correct wire, to the correct pad, using the diagram below. Taking care to only remove the enamel from the wire, where a connection was needed
After that I removed the leds from the transparency sheet by soaking everything in acetone, and gently prying them off. After that I bathed the led in acetone to remove the remaining glue- and flux residue. I applied thin coat of nail-polish to the solder connections (to prevent shorts), and at the point where the wires go from twisted to spread-out (to prevent them from untwisting). After that I ended up with this:
I temporarily added some male headers, so I could test them out in a breadboard. Also note that I used 20 leds here. The last 5 were cut of later, when I knew how long the fake lashes were, that they needed to be attached to.
I removed the sheeting from some solid core wire, and slipped that over the end of the five twisted wires, to prevent damage, and make it possible to keep them in place using some hair-clips, if needed.
Lastly, I glued the string of leds to some fake eyelashes using white-glue. I soldered to other end of the wires directly to the PCB, and added some glue for strain-relieve.
Become a member to follow this project and never miss any updates
By using our website and services, you expressly agree to the placement of our performance, functionality, and advertising cookies. Learn More