1Hardware - Attaching the Maxim chip
The video demonstrates the start of some experiments in improving the performance of the device by improving the thermal coupling of the MAX31856 to the PCB.This will be tested in comparison to an earlier board, eventually.
2Software - Setup your Raspberry Pi to run the Thermocouple read program.
Make sure the SPI subsystem is Enabled
Run the Raspberry Pi configuration tool
When this starts go to the Interfacing Options, then to SPI section. You will be prompted to enable or disable the interface.
3Software - Install the needed package libraries.
Using the Python Package Installer (pip) install the packages required for the project.
sudo pip install psutil sudo pip install configparser sudo pip install spidev sudo pip install spi
4Software - Install the TCRead.py Python application.
- Click on the link of the current version of software in the Files area of this project and download it to your Raspberry Pi
- Create a directory to contain the application, this is a matter of personal choice. Traditional Unix people would probably place it in /usr/local and then within the INI file point the log file at a home directory. The quickest is to create a directory in your personal home directory or in the /home/pi directory.
- Copy the downloaded software into this location.
- Unpack this file using the tar utility e.g.
tar -xzf TCReadV0_3_20191119.tar.gz
- If you now look at the files in this directory you will find a number of files. The main file is TCRead.py the Initialisation file is TCRead.ini. The utility will run without having to configure anything in the INI file but you can customise the system in that file if you wish.
- To run the application