Automatically detects when a blower gate is opened and turns on the collector motor
I took the controller with me on a business trip and spend the night getting the basic code framework out. It is going to run on top of Arkhipenko’s TaskScheduler. (https://github.com/arkhipenko/TaskScheduler) This should help me isolate any issues between the different control systems while managing the different task’s timing requirements. The code will be divided up into 5 major systems with the major systems having some subsystems
With the logic tested as much as I can in simulation. When I got home I mounted the PCB, power supply, LCD and relay module to the polycarbonate sheet. With the devices inside the enclosure, it is starting to look good. Hopefully tomorrow or the day after I can get the C14 Power plug, Start (Green) button, Stop (Red) button, Config (Blue) button, and USB extender mounted and wired up.
Hotel room programming:
The PCBs has arrived! I spent an hour assuming 2 control boards and 7 remote sensors. I needed 2 controller boards so at some point I can test chaining to increase the number of sensors from 3 zones-> 15 sensors to 6 zones 30 sensors. I am happy to see that so for with some basic firmware, the ESP8266 and MCP can talk to each other and trigger the correct high/low response. I have begun the process of programming the logic and advanced firmware that will be controlled by the end-user to control the dust collector!
Staging the headers and and connectors:
The controller fully populated:
The first test of the controller:
Test Zone 1, sensor 1, 4 and 5 (I kept flipping switches to verify it was working on all 5 sensors per zone). While I forgot to take a screenshot of it working; I am happy it is working as designed
As I wait for the PCB to arrive, I was thinking of ways to improve the system. I saw a video of someone using servo and current sensors to automatically control the doors on the collection system. So I start the process of designing a servo control board that will interface with the existing system. While the design is still only a few days old and untested; I figured it was far enough along to share.
Again, this board was designed with a non-electric/computer person in mind. All the setting would be accessible from the PCB and did not require a PC to set up and managed. The settings include a 3-way switch to force the gate open, closed or put the system in “Auto Mode”. 5 Pots control versus thresholds.
With the Bud Industries DCH-11923 enclosure arriving; the first round of layout testing has begun. Nothing will be set in stone until the PCB arrive so a proper fit can see seen. But the mock-up seems to fit correctly! :D System enable/disable (stop) may be mounted outside of the enclosure door but in a spot to not touch the high voltage wiring.
After the parts started to arrive from China, the layout slightly changed. Somewhere in the process of making sure stuff fit; Zone 1 and 3 ports got swapped (showed correctly in this photo)... PCB have been ordered before the zone swap was spotted. The v1.01 boards should arrive in the next few weeks then the real fun should start; the programming!