Revive a B&D Dust Buster by replacing the NiCd/NiMH battery with 18650 cells
To make the experience fit your profile, pick a username and tell us what interests you.
I've charged 4x2000mAh cheap cells externally and just put them into the B&D vacuum for runtime testing.
I've used the vacuum for around 20-25 times for cleaning the cat litter and hair around the apartment.
-> 1 week without charging
I think this is enough, because I don't want to have the charger always on.
For testing purposes, I've tried the vacuum without a battery protection circuit.
The performance was good, but not the best. The battery capacity seems to be enough for ~10-15min, but the cheap "9900mAh" batteries are getting warm after ~30s.
The next try will be with 2x2 batteries (1+1||1+1), so this is the added 2nd battery holder:
I will measure the runtime with 4x2Ah cheap cells and 4x3Ah good cells.
Yesterday I've disassembled the vacuum cleaner and tried to connect the new battery pack.
My first try was a combination of 2 18650 cells in a cheap battery holder with a 10A battery protection board ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32920842556.html ).
It was not possible to start the motor, the short circuit protection immediately kicks in and cuts of the power.
20A board. There are 30A boards as well, but only for 3S, which would be too much for the motor (original voltage: 9.6V; 2S: 7.2V; 3S: 10.8V).
with a balancing circuit (~2$).
Remove the 7 screws.
Note: the screw near the charging port is different.
Remove the knob on the other side (the screw is under the cap)
Pull out the battery pack + fan + motor
Split motor and battery pack.
Note: take care of the clips.
Remove the LED module completely. Attention: the metal stripes are not attached well, take care when pulling off the cables.
Open the pack by pressing the 4 clips and pulling it apart
Cut off both wires to the battery pack, dispose the cells appropriately.
Keep the charging port :-)
Remove the plastic cell separators in the case
A small note for this step:
I've tried around a few variants, so the wiring I show here is messy.
If you want to repeat this step, maybe you think of a way to do it much better. But I'm using the DustBuster for 6 weeks in this configuration and I'm satisfied:-).
Step by step connections:
Connect the balancing connection on the other side:
Inserting the batteries: You need 4 equally charged cells from the same type & age.
And now: try to fiddle everything into the case...
I've used double sided adhesive foam tape to keep the BMS isolated.
Put both sides of the battery case back together.
Please take care of the batteries: do not damage the cells in any way!
Double watch of any possible short circuits!
Become a member to follow this project and never miss any updates