While the name might be Work In Progress the system so far is showing promise. I have found myself in this situation a couple of times now. I start a project that has a couple components mounted in an enclosure. Maybe a Pi and a micro controller, couple sensors and everything looks fine. Move on a week or two and suddenly there are a dozen different components hanging from cables, piled on top of one another, every itch of surface has something foam taped to it and there is no room for expansion. To make things worse there is a significant amount of unused space in the center of the box, unless of course something is hanging from the ceiling by a cable....
As the description says, I'm trying to build a mounting system that allows for components to be neatly mounted, while maintaining flexible modularity. At first glance sometime off the shelf like actual DIN Rail would make sense. But not only am I cheap but I'm usually mounting things that don't have standardized mounting holes so I need to be able to make the platform easily too.
This first pass is very basic. Simple hooks that hang on the rails. The lower part was also supposed to have a corresponding hook but I miss calculated the spacing of the mounting slots so it just ended up being a stand off. Regardless it showed the basic hooks wouldn't quite cut it. Attaching a USB cable allowed the entire module to be pushed into an awkward angle, ethernet would have just knocked it off.
Even though this first pass didn't quite work out it is still showing promise. I've started on the second revision, based on a more sensible FreeCAD script that will hopefully not only make creating the modules much easier but have them mount much more stably.