As I'm temporarily separated from the rest of my group-mates, I continued with the laser cutting part of the micro plate reader. Today, I finalized the sketch for the right panel holder and its door and cutted the right panel with only few minor issues left.
This image shows the completed right panel and the front panel. The conjunction component provides versatility for the micro plate reader as a whole and it enables the door to move in 180 degrees. We also constructed the front side of the micro plate reader with the help of another student, as most of the laser cutting parts are done, we will enter the next section of the assembly next week.
As we continue to work on building the outer pieces of the plate reader that needs to be laser cutted. The main focus of the day was that we worked on 3D printing and installing several of the pieces crucial for the motor, the belt, and the plate holder to cooperate better. We had quite a tough time making slight changes to the plate holder,
the holder meant for holding samples in the future, since our plate reader's dimensions and the motors we are using more quite different from the original one. In addition, we also added a piece on top of a motor in order to adjust the height of the motor to make the belt stable and maintain the same elevation throughout. Overall it was quite a successful day as we were able to continue to progress and as we are becoming more and more skilled and confident with the tools we are using.
As we continue to progress, we kind of divided the tasks into the works related to laser cutting and actually assembling the laser-cutted pieces to the beams and the structures we already assembled. We used Inkscape to draw out the holes and the lines before we open the file in K40 Whisperer to laser cut the pieces. As it was our first time working to draw out the pieces, we inevitably made the mistake of cutting out holes that didn't really appear as it should be, perhaps off by 2 millimetres. However, we still managed to fit it in the beams, with great efforts to fit in the screws and to the drill the holes on the four sides, and that was our top panel done! In a similar fashion, we were also able to draw out the circles and lines that needs to the laser cutted for the bottom panel, but we wasn't able to cut it out because the thick boards needed for the bottom didn't arrive yet.
For the first session of actually building the micro-plate reader, we started with the general structure of the micro-plate reader. We built the bottom and the supporting stands on the sides. It was sort of like building Lego pieces, only that we had to be more meticulous and to consider more about the distance between each piece. Afterwards, we experienced the technology of laser cutting and then we worked on transforming the origin distance of the pieces of the guide to our own version, since some of the materials we used had different dimensions when comparing to the original layout.