• The final design is ready!

    Julio Vazquez7 days ago 0 comments


    After two prototypes (and lots of iterations for the tail bones), I can say that this will be the final design for the tail!

    • This design features a clip-on that will allow the tail to be easily attached (and detached) to the dress, or even to other kinds of clothes.
    • Shapes are now rounder and more compact in order to save some filament.
    • The battery case, which holds 4 AA batteries to power the circuit is now smaller and more aesthetic. To change batteries, the user should remove the 3 screws at the back.
    • The circuit case now holds the Arduino pro mini tightly, ensuring that it'll stay in position. In the previous version, the movement of the tail sometimes made the Arduino "bounce" inside the case.
    • Servo horns are hold in place by an additional piece.

  • Trying out the tail

    Julio Vazquez03/20/2017 at 07:03 0 comments

    Today I was able to finish the code to control the tail... It was more difficult than I had thought, but the result was quite satisfying. The tail now moves following the wearer's movements, and it stands still when it detects that the user is sitting down.

  • A new video is up!

    Julio Vazquez03/14/2017 at 20:37 0 comments

    Yesterday I made this video, featuring the first prototype (printed in transparent green PLA). As you can see, the electronics and the tail's "skeleton" are fully functional now.

    An accelerometer senses the user's movements, and an Arduino mini pro translates it into commands for the two servos that move the tail. Right now, there's a delay of 0.5 seconds between detection and the servo's movement - This is intentional, and in the final version the delay will be replaced by a smooth, more natural movement.

  • From sketch to 3D model

    Julio Vazquez11/03/2016 at 21:05 0 comments

    Today, I want to share how I built the tail's "skeleton".

    The starting point was the basic mechanism: Two servos that provide motion for the tail. However, it doesn't even look like a tail! So, I needed some reference pictures.

    Luckily, I found this useful reference sheet for Eeeve, where it's easy to see the shape of its tail and how it behaves while moving.

    For the next step, I took a screenshot of the basic mechanism and drew the shape of the tail over it. Then, I made some adjustments to the parts to match them to the drawing... And this was the result.

    Afterwards, I decided to repeat the process, this time to implement a series of "disks" that will act as supports, preventing the tail from losing its shape.

  • Testing the tail's mechanism

    Julio Vazquez11/03/2016 at 00:45 0 comments

    This is the second test (but the first one that I record on video) to evaluate the tail's mechanism. I wanted to make sure that the servo brackets and its pins would resist the movement without breaking or getting loose.