I made an impulse buy on this thermal printer because it's on sale.
The only problem is the driver that it comes with does not work on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2.
Dan at KubeSail gave me hope that at the very least this will work on the RPi 3.
I tried to see if there are any working TSPL printer with a regular CUPS install. CUPS will make it easier to share the printer on the local network and potentially on to other mobile devices through Airprint/Bonjour/Avahi.
I then found a post on some site that points to a patch to the CUPS rastertolabel filter. It only mentions the Beeprt, Munbyn and Rollo but it seems like this is a promising lead.
I need to get this patched rastertolabel onto my RPI, for that I have to compile it on my Pi.
- I use 32-bit Ubuntu 21.10. YMMV.
- Run apt get build-essential
Run git clone https://github.com/proski/cups.git
- Replace the rastertolabel.c with Proski's version
- Compile CUPS
- Replace rastertolabel with the newly compiled rastertolabel
- Download and install the Rollo raspberrypi driver
- Edit /usr/share/ppd/Printer_ThermalPrinter.ppd.gz - change the raster-tpsl to rastertolabel
- Edit /usr/lib/cups/filter/Printer_ThermalPrinter/PPDs/Printer_ThermalPrinter.ppd -- change the raster-tpsl to rastertolabel
- Restart CUPS
- Add your printer - pick Rollo as the make
- Do a test print.
- On your Iphone change paper size to 4x6.