So a list of the components and where you can find them,
- A tinytile from element14 powered by the Intel Curie chip set
- About a meter worth of APA102 LED Strip
- A USB Power Bank, anyone will do smaller the better
- An Atmosphere Account register here
- Load the LED Animation project here
So the build is pretty straight forward. The example provided by the Atmosphere wiki is using 18 LEDs for the tie example. You can increase this in the project. The APA102s are communicated to via SPI from the tinytile board. Connecting the SPI MOSI line to the DI pin on the light strips and then the SPI clock line to the CI pin will allow the tinytile to send the APA102 LED frame packets to the strip. You will also want to connect the 5V line on the tinytile to the LED strips VCC pin and also the GND pin to ground. You should note the the LED strips can draw quite a bit of amperage so I would advise trying to run too many off of a simple USB batter. 18 LEDs seems to work well.