Sorry that we haven't done much here, we will be sure to post more logs and instructions during the next few weeks!
Volt's base is a CaddyTrek golf cart. We moved the sensors up to his shoulders, so he would follow us better. We have had mixed results with this. He sometimes has a mind of his own.
Creating the top half of our robot was a piecemeal process. His initial form was basically two robot arms glued together.
It 'worked', but boy, was he slow! he was also very small, and after we bought a piece from an industrial arm from Ebay, took the two halves of his old torso and glued them to his new Torso and they became his shoulders. his new arms are screw-mounted on top of them.
Volt's core is Meccano - we used a Meccanoid G15KS when we went from Mark4 to Mark5 (Mark4 was operated via a 10 channel Remote control and his arms were more 'robust'. We plan on using those arms on Mark 6, and a different servo controller. The Meccabrain is limited, but it sure bright him to life for audiences!
Starting from here and driving in reverse -
We are almost done with Volt, and will be creating a new larger robot. It basically will be Volt, Mark 6, but may have another name. We would like to re-wire Volt, and swap out a few servos So we will kinda work backwards, doing a tear-down and explain how each of his systems' works as we repair him.
Anyway, here's the deal - We have a Maker Faire in about two months. Volt doesn't do well in large, noisy crowds,(he can't hear us), so we will be adding a COM system in order for him to hear our commands.
We are using two Walkie-talkies and will try it two ways : 1. attach the wires going to the speaker to where his microphone is. Use the other WT to send him commands. if that doesn't work, we'll just put the speaker next to his mic, so it can pick up our words.