A new WIFI module was introduced a few months ago, the ESP8266. It's small and inexpensive, perfect for adding WiFi to almost any project.
There are a few challenges when using the ESP8266 with an Arduino: It's a 3.3V device so the 5V signals from the Arduino needs to be converted and it also needs a 3.3V power supply. Lastly it uses AT commands to control it, which can take a while to figure out.
I have have made a wing shield to use this module with an Arduino. The shield has two rows for headers, one which will fit Arduino and one with standard 0.1" spacing.
I have made a library to make the module easier to use. The library is functinal, but I'm still working on testing, documentation and I want to add a few more features.
I have made another project using my 8266Wing shield. It's a dimmable LED Chandelier. The brightness is set over WiFi using a program on my computer.
A few weeks ago I discovered LiveCode, a cross platform development tool (Android, Ios, Windows, Linux, Mac) so I decided to use LiveCode for this project. It turned out to be really easy to get it working. So far I have only compiled it for Windows, I need to download the Android SDK before I can compile for Android.
The hardware consists of an Arduino Uno clone, the 8266Wing shield and a small board with a mosfet driven with a PWM signal from the Arduino.
The chandelier itself is a re-purposed decoration, where I removed the original light bulb sockets and soldered in some small PCB's with 3 LEDs on each board. The LED's used are Luminus MP-2016-1100-40-80.
First revision of the board. I got a fottprint wrong, so it needed a wire and some less obvious modifications. Fully functional.
Second revision of the board. Added another row of holes for headers with a standard 0.1" spacing to make it easier to breadboard. I ordered this board a few days after I ordered the first revision, so it has the same footprint issue.
Third revision of the board. Fixed the footprint issue. Removed unneccesary components. Reduced the width of the board. Added two aditional holes for headers. Removed double set of power input holes. Moved RX for compatibility with some Arduino models.