What is this Micro Drone 3.0 you refer to?
Indiegogo project about making a small, fun, customizable drone:
Why are you working on this project?
- It's fun, and I'm fascinated with robotics, vehicles and especially stuff that flies.
- I like to know what's going on "behind the scenes"
- I would like to learn more about control theory and what it takes to make something stay in the air
- Customize and improve the product, work on the shortcomings of the product
- I would like to have a drone that I can use for areal photography, where I don't have to worry so much about the controls, but more about getting the shot, but also not spend thousands of dollars on a drone.
Why the MD3.0 instead of *insert random other drone*?
- It's affordable (not too cheap, but also not $1000+ beast)
- It's safe(r) than bigger drones: I'm a noob drone flier, so I'd rather have this one fall out of the sky than a bigger model
- It's reasonable quality
- It's powerful enough to carry some (very) small payload
What are the shortcomings of the MD3.0?
- It lacks sensory inputs for more "high end" features like altitude hold, gps lock, etc
- The firmware is closed source, so it can't be tweaked
What kind of mods are you thinking about?
- Alternate (open source) firmware, which would enable more features (fx. acro mode)
- Add a compass + barometer for it to know heading + altitude
- Upgrade the 720p@30fps camera to a 1080p@30-60p with an ultra wide angle lense (110+ degrees)