The design goals of low cost have been met. I
think this is about as cheap as one can build a 3D printer. Looking
back, going straight from repstrapping to building a printer like this
has been very challenging and educational. Lots of fun and learning has
taken place. Overall it has been a great learning experience. As the
saying goes, everything is hard before it's easy. For example, when I
started this project I didn't know how to use CAD. I have definitely
learned a lot in the process.
I'll be shelving this project, it has met its goals of being super cheap and printable.
This hasn't been without cost though. Calibration is very tricky. All parts must be produced and measured precisely to be able to print anything at all!
Dialing it in is very time consuming. Calibration is not impossible, it must simply be done in a logical order, making sure at every step that every part is measured accurately.
This leads me to the next design phase. I would like to design a Reprap that is easy to calibrate, has a rock bottom bill of materials, highly printable, and can reprint copies of its own parts. All this while maintaining accuracy of the parts.
I hope you enjoyed reading!
P.S. I have set up a new project page.
Special thanks goes to Matt Kimbal for teaching me how to use FreeCad. I would also like to thank the Firepick Delta team for inspiring this project. Without you guys this project would not have been.