Fully 3D printed, this RC F1 car pushes the limits of what FDM can do. This 3D printed F1 car was designed to challenge my CAD skills and show my knowledge in 3D printing. This car has been designed in 2 weeks and has been displayed at RAPID + TCT 2018 Art Gallery at the SME booth. The car has also been to Laguna Seca where the CEO of Mclaren, Zack Brown, drove it himself.
It has been a while since I've uploaded to this project. In all honesty the project has been shelved and hasn't been touched since the last log. This was because I was too buys with school and work to even continue, and a lot had been going through my life. But now I am happy to announce I will be starting again with a completely different model. For 2019 I will be making the SF90, or in other words the Ferrari F1 car. I'm super excited and I will be making another project post that will have way more documentation to show the process I go through to making these things. For now I will be attaching some more pictures of I have taken of the MC33 since I stop working on it, for now it just remains chillin on a granite table.
I haven't updated this project or posted a log update about the car in a while. It mostly because I recently started College and my time to work on my hobbies has literately been close to none. I did however got 2 fully functional cars working. Iteration 7 V3 and V5. I am very proud of these, both working like a charm. I currently have them just chillin in an office next to each other. I will have pictures and videos of them so everyone can see and comment what you think.
it’s funny how much work I can get done in 1 day. Lately I’ve been busy but today 7/28/18 I actually sat down and decided I wanted a running car. I started doing all the new designs and started printed everything because
I really wanted run this car. To my surprise I did it by 7 pm. I was so excited I went to the nearest parking lot and ran the car like crazy. I was so amazed by the new steering linkage I designed compared to 2017’th car. This car felt more responsive, the handling was great. The rear wheels are are to far out but that’s because I currently don’t have access to a machine shop to make a new rear axle. I think with the wheel being placed where they would be would improve the car’s handling, I hope. Either way I started to think this car is now fine and ready for crash testing, now most of you will think you’re crazy. Well yeah but hear me out, by experience I expect some points of failure and have an idea of how the car would break if it crashed. But, I don’t really know so I started hitting some walls and the sidewalks. To my surprise the car actually withstood a good amount of impacts. Obviously the front wing was the first to break but the car kept running. It was until I went full throttle on a sidewalk where a wheel popped out. Funny thing is it still drove good enough like if there wasn’t a wheel missing. XD . I’m rwallt impressed by the amount of impact this car has been through, in going to improve some of the design to help it withstand even more load. I’ll leave a picture of the damage from the car.
One can never expect CAD to be the same in real life, it just doesn't work like that. With every project I've done, I'm always reminded of that lesson. Printing some of the steering components gave me difficulties, but it's all worth it because one learns from failure. I'm hoping this prototype works as I anticipate, if not I'm going to start working on version_4. I don't know how many iterations I'm going to make, I hope no more than 7. Either way production continues, most of it has been delayed due to my lack of time to redesign some parts, but I'm still on schedule.
Since the last log I stated I started production of the third iteration, well.... I got caught up with other stuff. Either way today I manage to focus 3D Printing more parts and I now have the rest of the floor along with some Bargeboards. I really want this “running” version already so I’m making sure everything goes to plan. Below you’ll be able to see the some pictures I took, I’m really happy with the way it turn out, A beautiful first Layer. Well now I’m off to printing the front end of the car, might take a while.... I hope to have a running version by July 1.
Production of iteration 3 has begun. I am currently testing rigidity and trying to find areas where I can shed weight. I know it's lightweight already but I want to push the limits! I noticed that the internal supports from the body add way more rigidity to the car than I anticipated, I believe I could shed some weight on that. I'm still working on the rear differential, starting to think I need to look at other options. The gear differential I am currently designing is giving me a clearance issues. I am re-considering a ball differential, but I'll decided by Friday with what I want to move forward with. All my prints will still be on my Ultimaker 3 until I think I have a "final" version (there is always room for improvement). I am looking to printing the floor with Carbon Fiber reinforced parts, I think it'll be cool for marketing. Anyways here is a picture of the first iteration alongside iteration 3.
This project has been through 3 versions, only 1 version has actually been manufactured. Still working on it and hopefully once I graduate I will be able to dedicate a little more time to finish it. Right now version 3.5 is being developed to be assembled with less components. Currently working on installing an FPV system so the end user can feel like he/she is driving a formula 1 car. Right now I am designing a new differential since my current prototype isn't working as expected. Hopefully the new design will be more aesthetically pleasing and able to withstand the power of a new motor I currently purchased(Ridiculously overpowered). Well that's it for now, until next log.