The project is dirt simple "cement half A to half B" yet yields what I believe to be an effective ppe for use in socialized environments; grocery shopping, commuting using public transportation; basically attending any event that puts oneself in close-contact with others while in an enclosed space. The utilitarian  pump/filter/battery arrangement can be harnessed to an ordinary pant belt and worn similar to a "fanny pack"...

A single 3.7V (nominal) lithium cell powers the popular inflation pump sufficiently.  As I do not have access to an airflow measurement system, what I claim to be a usable airflow rate was only determined empirically.  I'm a 63 year old, capable of jogging a couple miles, so my fresh airflow breathing requirements I assume are average.

I'm able to stay in the hood for over an hour, breathing comfortably, while doing light work, on just one SAMSUNG--18650-26J cell - taking it down to from fully charged to 3.5V in that time.  (Discharge cutoff by spec is 2.75V)  One cell is apparently sufficient for grocery shopping, even with the luxury of taking your time as you go through selecting items in the store!  To ensure safety, I do carry a spare.

Social acceptance in a few shopping trips using the apparatus seems fine.  Most are simply curious, some present a thumbs up or take my picture to show friends.  No one seems scared or offended and store employees engage me in light conversation.

Variations can of course include a mask based interface to nose and mouth, as I assume one could connect the completed machine part to any breathing apparatus headgear. However over the past few days I've seen the availability of professionally made, filtered face-mask respirators go down on ebay.  I can only imagine in the ensuing weeks, such devices will be unobtanium.

Any help, suggestions, comments welcome.  I only ask that we please keep them constructive - I realize this is live internet participation and therefore expect some criticisms. 

Looks like it wont let me add a .txt or .pdf as a support file, so in the interim I'll put the parts list here;

Potential Hood structure;


Battery holder;


Air pump;

Connecting Hose;


Looks like no field shows up for adding instructions in the normal way, so I'll put them here:

Instructions, like the project, is a W.I.P.  Any help clarifying them is appreciated!

1)  Using the recommended glue or equivalent, place a large bead - about the width of a stick pen - around the bottom of the filter, just outside of the black foam gasket.

2) Press the glue loaded filter bottom symmetrically about the pump motor intake tube, such that a clean seal is obtained all around the periphery of the filter bottom to the pump impeller
housing.  Preference; there's a plastic screen to prevent inhalation of foreign objects; you may choose to first break this out as with the filter in place, this wont be a problem.  

Allow glue to dry overnight.

3) Trim the dishwasher hose to an appx 24" length, initially measured from the larger of the two end connectors.  Use the one pump adapter end (provided with the...

Read more »