It is an insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT). It can be regarded as something of a cross between a conventional Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT) and a Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET), which makes it ideal for semiconductor switching. They used mainly used in power electronics.
- Voltage Rating above 1kV
- Current Rating above 500A
- Input Voltage of 4 – 8 V VGE
- Very High Input Impedance
- Very low Output Impedance
- Medium Switching Speed
The main advantages of using the IGBT over other types of transistor devices are its high voltage capability, low ON- resistance, ease of drive, medium switching speed and combined with zero gate drive current makes it a good choice for :-
- Moderate speed, high voltage applications such as in pulse-width modulated (PWM)
- Variable Speed control in Motors
- Switch mode power supplies or solar powered DC-AC inverter.
- Frequency converter applications operating in the hundreds of kilohertz range
Video on Youtube: