Every hardware hacker need good soldering tool. My idea was to build own but with very specific qualities. On one side not so expensive, on second side high quality and also small with precise control and features.
I found some projects where is used Weller soldering tips designed for WMRP soldering iron with standard 3.5mm jack and inside the tip is also thermocouple for sensing temperature. These tips are not so cheap but the quality is really great, especially for fine soldering.
Hardware design is based on similar projects but with some modifications and improvements. Also my request was to make the hardware small as possible to fit into handle and capable to supply from hobbyist LiPO battery.
- very compact - will fit into handle
- display show status, preset and tip temperature, power, supply voltage, drop, ...
- two buttons
- automatic standby
- sensing supply voltage and tip current
- precise regulation with PID (PSD controller with some modifications)
- supply voltage is from 5V to 15V (best is above 10V)
- designed to supply from LIPO battery 2S (7.4V max is about 18W) or 3S (11.1V max is more than 40W)
- calculating consumed Wh
- heat-up in 5sec from 25 to 400°C (with 40W limit)
- Idle current about 8mA
What is planed:
- accelerometer and/or magnetometer
- battery monitor (warn when battery need charge)
- configuration editor for some constants from PSD controller, power limit, ....
Microprocessors, Microcontrollers, DSPs / ARM, RISC-Based Microcontrollers
Precise operational amplifier
Hall effect current sensor
Power Management ICs / Switching Regulators and Controllers
OLED display 0.84" 128x32
Enjoy this project?