Successfully adding external audio to the badge "on a breadboard" but then bricking it when adding it permanently.
To make the experience fit your profile, pick a username and tell us what interests you.
Now that I had all my parts chosen, and working on my desk with a slew of alligator clips, it was time to assemble it all together. In rough order:
Everything looked better than I expected.
Then I turned it on...
So I suspect something's wrong with the power regulator circuit.
At this point all the easy troubleshooting didn't resolve it.... not sure if/when I'll get back to this.
Remember the speaker options from an earlier post?
I found it amusing that the oval speaker vibrated around. But regardless, I choose it because it sounded OK enough, but more importantly, it fit on the PCB best.
Galaga (which happens to be one of my faves from my youth) turned out to be the loudest.
So I just threw my super convenient Xminilab Portable scope (affiliate link) on it, and wired in a 100K potentiometer to manually find the the point where the signal into the amp wouldn't exceed the clipping voltage (see prior post). If you don't know, you don't just wire the pot as a resistor, you connect both the signal wire and signal ground, to create a voltage divider. Sometimes a voltage divider in an audio usage is referred to an L-pad (because of the shape of the schematic) but often that's only used for speaker-level control, it seems.
This worked: R1 = 65.5K, and R2 = 27.2K, for a R2 / (R1 + R2) ratio of 0.293. I suspect the amp's impedance was having a significant effect.
That worked out well but I found a weird effect, if I turned down the volume too low (R1 = 88K and R2 = 5K) I would get a weird "machine gun" effect over the audio. Listen here:
This is where I admit I'm not so good with AC circuits....
So my next thought was if R2 was too low so I tried putting a number of different resistors in series with R2, but while that seemed to work, it also prevented it from getting very quiet. So I increased R1, which again led to "machine gunning" at low levels, so I increased R2 again, and so forth. Some EE is probably laughing at me right now... but after a bunch of experiments I realized I couldn't both minimize the volume on one end *and* maximize the volume on the other end.
To complicate matters I didn't want to use the full-size potentiometer I was experimenting with so I popped over to All Electronics and found something suitable (see main completed image) but not exactly what I wanted. What I wanted was something like the volume control you'd see on an old transistor radio.... but I didn't know until later that's called a Thumbwheel Pot.
That pot turned out to be 150K (actual 144K).
For best loudness without distortion at low end:
For best softness although giving up max loudness:
So I went with the later... next to choose which speaker.
I had on hand some of these 10Pcs XPT8871 5V Mono Channel Digital Audio Lithium Amplifier Board for Arduino (affiliate link) and they were the right size so I'd give them a try.
Since I was aiming for 1W 8ohm speakers, I was wondering what the peak voltage I might see would be:
= (P * R) ^ 0.5, or (8) ^ 0.5, or 2.83V peak
On the badge there's a choice of 3.3V or 5.0V.
Specs from eBay:
Doing some more research I came across this link which corrects and expands on that:
There's also a link to the datasheet but it's mostly in Chinese so it's only so helpful.
While the charts in the PDF are in English, they're not numbered, but here's some choice notes:
If one is to believe it's compatible with the LM4871, the datasheet offers more information, particularly:
At first I tried the 5V source but it was way too noisy and had drop outs - I thought about filtering and adding a cap to get past the drop-outs, but I decided to try the 3V3 source first. I think the issue with 5V is because of the MP3401 Boost circuit, see the description and schematic towards the end of this post.
This worked much better but I could tell I was over-driving the input to the amp and getting distortion. I'll tackle that in the next post.
I happen to have a number of small low-power speakers "in stock". From Left to Right:
I connected a couple of them up directly to the "line out" connections - it was barely audible. An amp will be needed... in the next post.
Not that you can't mostly figure these connections out without flipping it over ... but I've also identified the line out signal and GND.
The Easter Egg
When talking to one of the creators at LayerOne he let me know there's an unpopulated LC circuit for a low-pass filter on the board, to keep down excessive treble. I haven't seen a schematic from theme, but it seems likely it's this:
Become a member to follow this project and never miss any updates