08/26/2017 at 08:35 •
Cut the base on CNC and assembled buttons and joysticks. Tested mouse operation with a breadboard.
Everything looks sturdy, the plastic parts are solid and have zero play. The wrist pads felt too thin for my hands, so 3-mm inserts were printed -- note the blue inserts between the base and the wrist pads. The STL files have been modified for the extra thickness. I have also made the files which combine the wrist pads and the switch slots for printing in one go.
The original plan was to print the joystick caps from a semi-transparent filament to make them glow in the dark (both joystick boards have LEDs). Well, no filament for now, may replace later.
07/09/2017 at 11:17 •
The joystick boards and thumb keys have been designed and built.
For the prototype, a prototyping board is sufficient; sometimes in the future can do traces :)
The body parts have been printed. Everything fits so far.
06/11/2017 at 02:18 •
I've completed three initial mockups using cardboard, junk prints, and hot glue. The dimensions were progressively fed into the Blender model and actual components printed.
Iteration 1. Initial layout with 3 thumb buttons.
At this point, decided to drop one thumb button from design: one joystick plus three buttons is a bit cumbersome to handle.
Iteration 2. Initial layout with 2 thumb buttons and approximate positions for wristpads and joysticks. Actual joystick caps and key caps are used.
Iteration 3. The thumb layout is now final. Experimenting with the joystick offsets and finger buttons.
The same layout ported to Blender:
06/10/2017 at 09:54 •
After experimenting with support structures, decided to use separate prints for top and bottom and glue together.
Top row: experiments. Bottom row: final version. For the latter, the switch slots require no cleaning and look way more accurate.
"Gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law."
Parts completed so far: