The plan was to make a large interactive POV display for music events ( read Burning Man).
We went through multiple revisions and countless hours hacking, breaking, rebuilding, etc.
A lot of the challenges arose from the nearly impossible:
- getting high RPMS without the ring distorting
- network lag!!
- syncing ring position with Processing sketch
- interesting interactivity via sensors (Leap Motion, Kinect)
- hacking without losing appendages
We have found solutions for all of these. But it would not be impossible without a team:
- Phil Bremer aka Brems - admin, project management, co-designer
- Brandon Smith aka Sproutworks - Processing code
- Mark Liu - CAD Drivetrain Engineer
- Tyler McGahee aka Hollywood - CAD sensor modelling, co-engineer
You can see it on the playa @ the Buddha Lounge this year at Burning Man 2014.