As a type-1 diabetic, I am dependant on regular injections of insulin (in my case, two different types) - four or more times a day. This means carrying my insulin around with me pretty much everywhere. Generally insulin is kept refrigerated, but the vial in current use can generally be kept out of the fridge for a week or two without any problems - UNLESS it gets too hot.
This is where the minder comes it; it will ideally be a small device which stays with the insulin (possibly even integrated into its case). It will keep an eye on the temperature extremes reached and let me know if it ever strays outside a given range.
As added value items there are a few stretch goals that it should be able to deliver:
- Let me know what the minimum and maximum temperatures where since the given vial of insulin was started.
- Be able to report temperature over time, so I can identify places and times to avoid leaving my insulin in the future.
- Be able to report battery status.
- Let me know when I last had my insulin.
- Let me know how much insulin I last had.
Other general goals for the project include:
- Be small.
- Be rechargeable.
- Last a long time without recharging.
- Effortless to use for main function.
- Quick to use for value-added functions.