Our goal is to design & produce a tool for hardware pentesting :
- Internet Of Things
- Industrial devices
- Scada systems
- Basic electronic products of everyday life
HardSploit Project is lead by our Company (Opale Security) and its internal teams :
- Yann ALLAIN (former CSO of an International Company, CEO of Opale Security, Electronic Engineer, Senior Pentester, BlackHat Speaker & Trainer)
- Julien M. (Electronic Engineer, Hardware & Software Pentester, BlackHat Speaker & Trainer, Electronic Makers)
- Gwénolé A. (Software Developper, Open Source Addict, Software Pentester)
The most surprising (disturbing?) fact is that our industrials and our security experts do not mastered design techniques or audit of hardware systems. There is a gap between the threat and the response capacity of the actors in this field.Therefore the risks of attacks on the processed data increase (personal, supervision process of industrial equipment…).
It is clear that something is needed to help the security community to audit and control embedded systems security.
This is what motivated us to create HardSploit : a complete tool box (Hardware + Software), a Framework which aims to:
- Facilitate the audit of electronic systems for security industry workers (Consultants, Auditors, Pentesters, Product designers etc.)
- Increase the level of security (and trust!) of new communicating products designed by industry
HardSploit Framework features
Hardsploit is a tool with software and electronic items. It is a technical and modular plateform (using FPGA) to perform security tests on electronic communications interfaces of embedded devices. It's a Framework.
All-in-one tool for Hardware pentest !
Main Functions (HardSploit modules)
The main Hardware security audit functions are
- Sniffer, Scanner, Proxy, Interact with electronic bus
- Dump memory
Hardsploit Modules will let Hardware pentester to intercept, replay and/or and send data via each type of electronic bus used by the Hardware Target. The Level of interaction that pen-testers will have depend on the electronic bus features...
HardSploit 's modules enable you to analyse all sort of electronic bus (serial and parallel type)
- JTAG, SPI, I2C's,
- Parallel address & data bus on chip,
- and more others to come in the futur (OneWire, UART, etc...)
Assisted visual wiring function
No more stress with that tremendous part of Hardware pen testing : You will know what need to be connected where !
We integrated into the tool an assisted visual wiring function to help you easier connect all wires to the Hardware target:
- GUI will display the pin organization (Pin OUT) of the targeted chip.
- GUI will guide you throughout the wiring process between Hardsploit Connector and the target
- GUI will control a set of LED that will be turn ON and OFF to easy let you find the right Hardsploit Pin Connector to connect to your target
The software part of the project will help conducting an end-to-end security audit. It will be compatible (integrated) with existing tools such as Metasploit. We will offer integration with other API in the future.
Our ambition is to provide a tool equivalent to those of the company Qualys or Nessus(Vulnerability Scanner) or the Metasploit framework but in the domain of embedded / electronic devices.
What is the Current Status of the Project?
- Hardware design is complete
- HardSploit Hardware prototype PCB board is nearly complete (last debugging function in progress)
- Firmware (FPGA VHDL module and low level API) is in progress
- GUI and Integration in Metasploit Framerwork just begin
- More information on http://HardSploit.io to follow all the project steps