Taking an inordinate time between glue-up and final product, I finally managed to get the finishing done. You might be able to tell in the photo below that my shoddy joinery is on display on pretty much every corner due to using the wrong tools and being a bit hasty in my assembly. You can also see how dark the Red Oak stain turned out being, but I think I can live with it. The top is rubbed down with plain Linseed oil.
I finished the base and aprons seperate, and then attached the top. Purists are going to give me grief for my home-brewed attachment brackets, as I screwed the table to the long aprons, rather than the short ones... and I screwed it to the straight onto the top. With luck, since my brackets are also wood, the whole thing will move with itself and won't go all hair-raisingly splitty. We have so much humidity (a mean of 29%) that I don't think this is as bad as, say, Illinois.
You'll see the router in the background, and I put a 1/4" roundover
on the top edge to give the table some edge definition. Since this is a
worktable, I didn't want a rough-edge to poke me in the gut every time I
leant-in to knead some dough and this should accomplish this. I had
thought I might want to bullnose it, but decided against it, not wanting
to have to flip the whole table over again to get the bottom edge.
I then sanded the top smooth again, and took out some of the roughness that the router left in the edge. I tried to get more of the look of the glued-up joint in the middle of the tabletop to come out, but I wasn't able to get the joint to fade as I had expected. But since it felt smooth, I figured it was pretty good.
The finish for the top is simple Boiled Linseed oil. Just pour it on, spread it around, wait a bit, and then wipe it off. Simple, Clean look, and emenently durable. If, and when, I ding the tabletop, I can daub more oil in to the dent and go on with life, confident that the top is sealed.
Based on some reading, however, I might want to top that with some Shellac, as BLO is generally not food-safe.