15 hours ago •
60 new devices from PIC16F153xx, PIC16F183xx, PIC16F188xx and PIC16F19xxx added, resulting in support for 379 devices in total. For a moment, I'm adding support for new MCUs faster than Microchip can develop them, neat!
I tested 5 new ones, resulting in 52 MCU types tested.
a day ago •
After nearly two years, I refreshed this project again.
Apparently, Microchip introduced new programming specification for newer PIC devices, like PIC16F1xxxx and PIC18FxxK20 and PIC18FxxK22. The old format was LSB first, either with mix of 8/14 bit long words (for PIC16Fxxx) or 8-bit long words, but a lot of direct instructions entering (PIC18). This seems to be unified now (see the famous XKCD comics) with MSB-first and 8-bits only words. Nice initiative, only if there were already a few different formats among PIC devices.
Honestly, I was too lazy to implement it, but there is already quite a few "new format" devices in the wild, so I finally got myself to add it to pp3 programmer, so here you go. Only PIC16F188xx are added, but more will follow.
09/16/2016 at 11:15 •
Today I made some more progress. I added support for more PIC18FxxKxx devices, so the total supported devices count is 305. There will not be much more of them.
I tested a few new ones, including PICs in TQFP package. Unlike for DIP packages, breadboard and wires are not enough, so I had to use TQFP adapter I made few years ago for PIC24 and PIC32 series, but with single cut trace it works for PIC18 too.
There is nothing more than micro and decoupling caps. By the way - JS09 really means year 2009. The time flies.
For this adapter I made simple testbench of perforated PCB.
With this one I tested PIC18F66J15, 67K22 and 67J50, each on its own breakout.
And this is gallery of all PIC devcies I programmed with this Arduino programmer. Every single MCU here has blink a LED program flashed. Much blinking power, very wow.
09/14/2016 at 16:42 •
In version 0.94 I added support for CAN devices like PIC18F25K80, 12 new in total. New firmware is released too.
Everything is on github.
09/12/2016 at 09:28 •
I hunted a bug with programming PIC18F24J10, but finally I got it working - so version 0.93 is out.
I ordered some more PIC18FxxJxx devices to test the programming protocol implementation. After tested, I'm going to do the final sources cleanup and release version 1.00.
Files are on github, as usual.
09/09/2016 at 11:14 •
I reworked the MCU selection code. The if-then structure was OK for dozen of devices, but with more than 200 supported MCUs, it became messy. So I rewrote it into simple plain text file database with entries like
# PP3 device database for version 0.92 # # name flash page ID mask family_type # flash size and page size in bytes 1 WORD = 2 BYTES # # PIC16 family 16f1503 4096 32 2CE0 FFE0 CF_P16F_A 16lf1503 4096 32 2DA0 FFE0 CF_P16F_A 16f1507 4096 32 2D00 FFE0 CF_P16F_A 16f1508 8192 32 2D20 FFE0 CF_P16F_A 16f1509 16384 32 2D40 FFE0 CF_P16F_A 16lf1507 4096 32 2DC0 FFE0 CF_P16F_A 16lf1508 8192 32 2DE0 FFE0 CF_P16F_A 16lf1509 16384 32 2E00 FFE0 CF_P16F_A 16f1454 16384 64 3020 FFFF CF_P16F_A 16f1455 16384 64 3021 FFFF CF_P16F_A ... ...so it is easy to edit (add new PIC devices or fix mistakes in existing) by hand without recompiling the code. The pp3 takes all the information about device to be programmed from here. The original source shrunk from 2700 to 900 lines of code.
I also added 67 more PIC18FxxJxx devices and one PIC16F, so it supports 273 devices in total. At last, I tested support for another 7 devices, all of them working on a first try. I feel like time for 1.0 release is near.
Everything is on github, as usual.
09/06/2016 at 12:16 •
I decided to release version 0.91 - the previous should be 0.90, then.
No matter what, I added some more devices - 205 devices supported in total.
I also changed somehow serial port handling, resulting in higher programming speed, especially under windows. PIC16 programming algorithm got a bit more intelligence, resulting in faster programming.
Before 1.00 release I'd like to rework the MCU type selection into table driven function instead of huge if-then-else behemoth and set support for all LVP ICSP-able 8-bit PIC devices.
Everything is at github, as usual https://github.com/jaromir-sukuba/a-p-prog
09/05/2016 at 20:55 •
Oh here we go, version 0.9 - this means first "normal" release 1.0 is close.
I added a lot of new devices, some new are tested. I fixed some bugs around serial port and hex file handling. The PIC name is now case non-sensitive. 175 devices is in support list in total.
Everything is on github, as usual.
08/16/2016 at 06:42 •
Amount of supported devices increased from 68 to 131. Some new PIC16F1xxx were added (16F151x, 16F178x, 16F19xx) and completely new PIC18 family was added - PIC18FxxJxx (like 18F26J50); which also required updated programmer firmware. Not all members of this family are here yet, that is subject of next release.
Everything is on github and updated support table is at the project details section too.
08/05/2016 at 06:00 •
I increased number of supported devices from 48 to 68 (PIC16F1619 family and PIC16F1579 family added) and tested a few new ones.
Sources at github, as usual.