I, at this point of start of the project, am a BTech graduate, preparing for MS and eventually start a career in Robotics field. So before I join my program, I felt, I should do some preparatory study of Robotics. So I took up UPenn's Edx Robotics course(even though it's discontinued) just to study the basics again. While going through the course, it kept on taking me time to solidify the knowledge in my head, hence I decided to take a slightly different approach. I will try to work on a robot, and use the concepts I learned on it. For the robot design, the blaster pack from Mandalorian S1 popped into my head, since it is also pretty much a robotic arm, and in future, it would make for a great robot to show-off. SO, in this project I will use the blaster pack robot to try out whatever concepts I learn from my studies. I will try to keep updating on my progress, and hopefully reach a point where I feel ready to build a prototype. Any comments and recommendations are welcome!
So.....I have been studying about Jacobian matrix for the past few days. I haven't completely understood it and will be checking out more videos to understand the concept a little better. After studying it, I felt like I wanted to write an Octave script. So I will do that once my concepts on the topic are clear. I will also apply it to the Mayfeld Kinematics equations that I have built up till date. Also I had forgotten about the IK script. So I have started on it and updated an initial script with the FK matrices in it. I will eventually update it with the IK calculations(symbolic) too very soon. Also the progress on the 3D printed robot arm has been slow. I decided on using an UNO finally as my previous options were too much hassle. So with the correct hardware in hand I have started work on figuring out the servo motor working. I hopefully will soon start with a FK Arduino sketch to run on the platform very soon. But I first have to do the FK calculations very methodically and correctly too. I hope the achieve the 3 targets set here for myself at the earliest.
Hello! It's been a longtime. Due to various reasons, my studies kept getting stalled. Finally I have resumed again. So along with my studies resuming I have decided to work on a different robot arm. I am doing this because I felt I needed a physical bot in front of me to test out my understanding. So bought the cheapest 3D printed robot arm kit and assembled it up. Now, I plan on controlling it using a Pyboard v1.1 that I had lying around. I will need to learn Micropython for that(which I intended to do eventually). So for now, I will be shifting from octave to Micropython. It will take some time to figure out the electronics and programming, but I am really eager to try out what I learn on it. Here is what I will be using.(The Digispark is my backup if I get frustrated by Micropython, which I am pretty sure will not be the case).
I know it is a detour, but I will definitely use my learnings here towards the blaster pack.
Finally! I managed to write an initial script for wrist center position calculation based on Inverse Kinematics Geometric approach. The script has been updated to the Github repo. The wrist center calculation is considered similar to a RRP Spherical case. The case is quite simple since not theta1 is required and theta2 and d3 values will depend when a practical case with some back measurements are done. This is an initial script with most definitely some big errors. So I will be work on it later to correct it.
I have started resumed my studies on Inverse Kinematics. I am updating the Github page with Octave code and will eventually present my Inverse Kinematics calculations for the robot. The first 3 joints will have a spherical RRP inspired Inverse Kinematics solution. I will do the calculations very soon and will update them here.
Yay! 2021's here! But our troubles aren't gone yet. And so isn't my journey towards building my own (and 1st) Star Wars prop. And haven't been able to do any update and also I am stuck at the inverse kinematics. I have gone through it a little bit, but I do realize it's going to be tricky not difficult. Well I am going to share the updated DH diagram(again!) and some more Forward kinematics calculations. I have also linked my Github repo with my Octave code for this very project. I will try my best to study everyday, do some coding, update my Github repo(which I hope to build up overtime) and update this project with periodic project logs. For the people who have followed this project, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that anyone would follow this project so thanks for motivating me with ur follows. Hopefully at the end of this journey I will be posting a triumphant pic of myself and my blaster pack. Thanks and good luck for 2021!
I went through the forward kinematics lectures again(seriously, I have some confidence issue with my learning). So after going through it and making sure I didn't get anything wrong. This is what I got
After deciding to do this robot and looking up on internet, the actual design seems to be quite simple. There is already a video on youtube for that by a great prop builder. But for my study purpose, I decided to unnecessarily complicate this. So here is my 1st designs.
PS, I am an Electronics graduate, so my designing sucks.
So I think for now I will go ahead with the 2nd design. Despite it being complicated, there is many things that can be done with this design.