• A Split Remix - For smaller printers

    arturo1822 days ago 0 comments

    I made a remix of the original design, this one is split into two pieces, so you can print it on a smaller (20x20cm) printer. I also removed a lot of the loops around the rocket, I only put so many on there because I didn't know how many I will really need, but now that I have a better idea, I left only a few in there.

    Enjoy:

    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3856934

  • Making the CCCamp LED Rocket Jacket

    arturo18208/18/2019 at 11:35 0 comments

    The rocket frame was designed in Fusion and 3D printed, I imported the SVG directly into Fusion, made it really easy to design. 

    I used the "low quality" settings in Cura because the model is very curvy and it would take very long otherwise. The STL file is available in the File section of this project.

    It turned out pretty darn well!

    The frame is filled with hot glue, I thought it was gonna take a lot of glue, but in the end it was only 2.5 sticks!

     The masking tape made it easier to remove the whole thing from the glass and it gave the glue a nice texture, win win.

    What I learned from this is that hot glue does not flow as much as I expected it to, so to get into those tight corners I really had to squeeze the glue gun in there. It also dries quite fast so you can see the places where the two glue pieces meet.

    After waiting a bit to let the glue cool down, I removed the whole things from the glass and removed the tape. You can see the slight lack of glue in the corners and some air bubbles that got in there.

    I used a hot air gun to melt the glue a bit and placed ws2818b LEDs in strategic locations, then I wired them all in a strip along the path of the rocket stroke.

    I used a chinese Digispark clone to drive the LEDs, it was really easy with the Arduino examples free Adafruit Neopixel library. Barely had to change anything except for the length of the strip and some timings for the animations.

    After testing, I covered all LEDs with more hot glue, hopefully it will keep the wires in place.

    I also hot glued the Digispark into place.

    As usual, the photos can't really show hot nice the colors are, I tried my best.

    As you can see, the air bubbles and the lack of glue in the corners is not at all visible in the final product!

    Lastly I stitched the whole thing to my hoodie with some cardboard on the other side to keep it straight.

    Final product is glorious!