Why, climate change and a short story..
This project began with a problem to solve for my ROV. Last year, I needed a method to connect my robot with a web application in order to receive its telemetry, any radio system was out of my purposes because the planned deployment location was very far from everything, even from the GSM network.I started to think to a satellite uplink.
After months of development, I created a system able to bridge the data from/to the robot via satellite link but I wasn't completely satisfied yet. There was another necessary step to do. I wanted to convert my device into an universal product and I had a thought in constant-looping into my head:
"What if we would have a satellite radio device, programmed from a web API, easy to
use, so universal to be connected with any kind of IOT sensor or any robot via serial
port, with low power consumption and cheap in terms of satellite traffic?"
I started to work on it further and I was proud about the results but after I realized it could be used for the scientific research as well. A very important topic for me is the climate change, I am a sailor and a scuba diving instructor, environment, the nature, the ocean is my second home...maybe the first..
..so this is IOTsatcom today!
A beautiful place I need to take care..
Addressing a world problem ..the CLIMATE CHANGE
Many scientists today need to gather an enormous amount of data, many of them work with a limited budget. They are pushed in their pursuit by their commitment to achieve a scientific result. We need them, we need people who care, we need people with strong motivation in science.
Scientists today will provide us the sustainability of life tomorrow.
- How to give them access to cheaper technologies?
- How to help them to focus in their scientific research and spend less time in engineering?
Other men want to have sensors too, control, mobile apps, telemetry everywhere. We see a great amount of IOT sensors on the market today but many solutions can't be provided yet.
Often the 4 common problems to face are:
- How to power the far away sensor?
- How to send the data to some remote processing system?
- This has to be cheap!
- Can we change the logic of the IOT sensor/robot from remote?
These questions rise in the context of the ROVs, with complex robots, with big green-houses, monitoring a forest, a volcano, in the ocean or with autonomous systems and sensors. There is a great amount of use cases still difficult to implement.These problems are even more evident in the case of the study of the CLIMATE CHANGE.I did a search on the web and the results are interesting, some URL links:
- A review of global ocean temperature observations: Implications for ocean heat content estimates and climate change
- "If you want to measure outgoing radiation with the accuracy necessary to understand global climate change, you have to make measurements everywhere, all the time"
- google books: climate change and references about sensing with iridium network
- Nature magazine: The role of satellite remote sensing in climate change studies
- usna.edu: The use of remote sensing in climate change research
- unoosa.org: The Applications of Satellite Remote Sensing on Climate Change
Some examples of systems using the Iridium satellite network:
A satellite communication system from the ARGO float sensor in the field of environment research
Another use case example about a robot funded by NASA
[image from Nasa archive]
[article from http://www.tgdaily.com]
IOTsatcom helps the study of the CLIMATE CHANGE
- The scientists need to gather a lot of data, in remote locations, almost everywhere.
IOTsatcom is a satellite communication device with a 32bits ARM cortex M4 CPU from Freescale, leader in the sector of automotive due its superior reliability and performances.
- He needs to convert the system easily and fit different usage scenarios.
The core design from Teensy 3.1, supports many pins with several capabilties, GPIOs, ADC, PWM, hardware serial buses. The web application...Read more »